Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Wedding

My little bro got married over the weekend. Baby E and I went to visit for a few days while wifey stayed home as she was not feeling very well. This was the first time that baby E has been away from momma overnight. I was a little nervous but overall it went pretty well. Baby E missed mommy but she still had a good time. She seems to be warming up more and more to my family and even let some of them hold her when I was around. I learned a few things about taking care of a kid while there. The first was that I would not make it as a single parent. I have a great deal of respect for mothers (particularly the stay at home variety). I have told wifey in the past that I would be the stay at home and she could go to work cuz she could make more money but the truth is, I could not stick it out. According to wifey, I don't have a nurturing bone in my body. I just don't have as much patience. I love to play with Baby E but I get tired and can only play a little bit at a time. It is easier for me when we go out and do something. While in M-F, I felt like I didn't do anything other than take care of her. I do love to take care of her though. When I come home, she almost always comes to greet me at the door and I can often hear her saying "daddy" before I even open the door. You can't really beat that. Anyway, I also learned that it is very difficult to take a toddler to an all you can eat buffet. I got her food ready and helped get her started and then got her some seconds while trying to get a bite or two for myself. When she was finished she demanded that I pick her up and when I refused, she became agitated. Fortunately my sister stepped up and helped clean Baby E off and held her while I ate. Otherwise it would have been a sad state of affairs and I would not have been able to eat more food than I really needed to eat. I also learned that I need to give Baby E more rest breaks on trips. I stopped a couple times on the way home but I really tried to push through and made pretty good time. When I was less than five minutes from the house I heard a noise and looked in the rear view and saw vomit gushing out of her mouth once, twice, three times-all over her. She started crying and kind of held her hands to her side in a helpless manner as though she didn't know what to do. It was so sad. I wanted to stop right then but I would have been able to help her so I grabbed the cell and told wifey to get water and lots of towels ready. I started to clean it up but Baby E also needed to get out of her clothes and into the bathtub so I stripped her down and took her in the bathroom. I took off all my clothes and put her in the tub. While I was getting ready to get in, I looked over and saw her standing in the water peeing. The tub was already nearly full and she had puke all over her and was still crying and upset. She doesn't like bathing and it is nearly impossible to do unless you are in there with her. I decided that I would just have to take a puke and pee bath with her. I jumped in and cleaned her up, rinsed off, cleaned the car and seat, and then finally took a shower. Ahhh, the fun of being a parent.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Melain said...

Now THAT is true love. Anyone who is willing to bathe in another person's bodily fluids is WHIPPED.

Erin Bigler said...

By the way, this is Nate, not Erin. She controls all our accounts so her name is on everything.

But that's a hilarious post. Did you see the one on our blog where Erin ate the baby's booger? Kids sometimes are not adorable.