Sunday, April 29, 2007

Alcatraz

When I lived in Eureka CA, back in 1999 I had a chance to go to San Fran. I had never been and didn't really look into what there was to do there but I knew that I wanted to go to Alcatraz. We didn't have a lot of time so we went down to the wharf and were screwing around and made our way over toward Pier 39 where they leave for Alcatraz. When we got there I found out that I had just barely missed the last tour of the day. I thought to myself, "no biggie, I'll just come the next time I go to San Fran" but not really knowing when or if that would ever happen. At the beginning of this year a training opportunity through work presented itself and I was able to go San Fran again. I had a big scare the day before leaving as I went on the Alcatraz website and saw that they recommend buying tickets before arriving as they often sell out. I was nervous that they would sell out but fortunately I was able to make it(as evidenced by the picture). I was hoping to recognize more places from the move "The Rock" but I am sure a lot of the Alcatraz scenes were shot elsewhere. It was still pretty cool to see it and I had a great time. Now I have to go back again sometime and take my family. It'll probably be another 8-10 years(man I am getting old).

2 comments:

Melain said...

I LOVE that movie The Rock! Nic Cage at his best. I saw Alcatraz when I was 18. I wonder if it's changed much...

Fr. Matthew said...

But here everyone calls me Vickie!