Saturday, June 21, 2008

Gun Cabinet

A few months ago my younger brother came to visit and somehow it came up that I was looking into getting a gun safe and he volunteered to make me a gun cabinet. Since most gun safes are ugly and need to go in a closet or the garage, I was pretty excited since a gun cabinet is something you can proudly display. As you can see by the pictures, he did an excellent job of building the cabinet. I ended up staining it myself and while I was working on it in my garage, my 70 or 80 year old neighbor walked by and asked what I was doing. I told her I was staining a gun cabinet and she responded, "Oh, you are one of those." I responded "Well, I am a police officer." to which she said, "Well that is part of your job but I didn't think you would have all kinds of extra guns. I never allowed guns in my house." So here is my question-How do you respond to that:)

I didn't respond at all. I do find it interesting that somehow people feel it appropriate to comment negatively and give their opinion about my gun ownership, which is of course a Constitutional right. I don't go up to people of different religions or people exercising freedom of speech, assembly, or any other constitutional rights and say, "Oh, you are one of those". It seems a little wierd to me that people feel they can say whatever they want and treat gun owners as though they are some sort of right wing nutjob.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: