Sunday, October 02, 2005

Marion Falls, OR



Michele and I hiked up here early in the year with some friends. The nice thing about these falls is that while the hike is relatively short and the falls are quite spectacular, we were the only ones there.

Later this year I went again with my friend Clarke as part of a three day camping trip we took together. We camped at nearby Marion Lake for two days and went fishing and hung out. We came to Marion Falls but it wasn't nearly as spectacular as there was less water going over the falls and it looked like pee colored sewer water so it really surprised me when Clarke filled his Nalgene bottle and took a drink(which for those of you who don't know what a nalgene bottle is-that just means you need to turn the tv off and do a little more hiking:) . Anyway, after spending a couple nights at Marion Lake and not catching nearly as many fish as I had hoped, we decided to hike out and spend a night at Breitenbush lake and hike to Jefferson Park the next day. For me, it ranks as one of the best hikes I have done in my life. It is an 11 mile round trip hike in which you almost rise above the tree line before dropping down into Jefferson Park where you can hike to several lakes at the base of Mt. Jefferson. The only thing that would make it a better hike would be if you could hike to the top of Mt. Jefferson without having to be an expert at mountaineering.

I would have included some pictures of Mt. Jefferson but I didn't take my digital camera with me so those photos will have to wait until next time I go or whenever I can convince Clarke to send me some of the pictures he took.

No comments: